Not all cruises are created equal and not all vacations are either. If a cruise is on the horizon, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) says upgrading is the way to go. And for many who once were ecstatic to move from port hole to balcony, these days it means moving to a whole new level of expectations, amenities and service.
“New accommodation concepts offer the opportunity to host large social groups, create a multigenerational experience or simply design a luxurious vacation complete with penthouse options and concierge service,” says Cindy D’Aoust, CLIA president and CEO.
She notes cruise lines have raised the bar when it comes to cabin suites, penthouses and preferred guest services. From 24/7 butlers and private dining rooms to preferred embarking and disembarking privileges and wrap around balconies with 180 degree views, living the suite life just got even sweeter for those that choose to book a cruise suite.
There are many benefits to upgrading to a suite on a cruise ship, according to the cruise line association. In addition to generally being larger than staterooms, suites come with a variety of high-end options, premium finishes and passenger privileges. Examples include:
- Premium Services – Suite passengers are offered special VIP options. Some cruise lines offer expedited embarking and disembarking privileges, first class flights and even private cars while at port.
- Exclusive Clubs, Dining and Fitness Facilities – When staying in a suite, cruise lines offer guests exclusive access areas, ranging from clubs and dining areas to spas and fitness facilities.
- In-Room Spa Treatments – Certain cruise lines offer suite guests unlimited lavish spa services onboard while others even offer in-room spa retreats.
- Special Suite Amenities – From espresso machines and Jacuzzis to telescopes and pianos, cruise line suites offer a variety of above-and-beyond amenities for guests.
- High-End Décor and Designs – Suites have been designed with top-of-the-line finishes and details ranging from designer linens and décor to marble and mahogany furnishings.
- Personal Butlers and Suite Stewards – Suite guests are often welcomed with personal butlers and suite stewards. This level of service offers guests valet service and help with any special requests.
- Complimentary Beverage Services – Booking a suite often opens the door to unlimited beverages and may even include a personal mini bar.